Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Let Me Check My Calendar

Samsung Blackjack i607 Unlocked GSM Phone with 1.3MP Camera, QWERTY Keyboard and Memory Card Slot--U.S. Version without Warranty (Black)   The Board Meeting, a.k.a. the PTA gathering to introduce the new leaders,  was winding down. The president wanted to know if I was available to meet the following week to go over the agenda for the community life committee I had joined. Uh ... .
  A true LOL is only as good as her technology. Let's just say I'm a work in progress.
   I probably was the last person over the age of 8 and under the age of 70 to get a cell phone. And that only happened because I was offered one for free through work a couple of years ago. When that gig came to an end in April, I was hooked enough to invest in one on my own dime. But I just couldn't fathom a monthly bill the size of a small nation's budget. So I went the pay-as-you go route, splurging on the full-keyboard Samsung model. All of a sudden, I had access to a portable calendar that I could use without having to struggle with clicking through rounds of letters.  Better yet, I could set alarms that would go off during various points of the day, usually while around others, and, just like all the other LsOL, glance down and say, "Oh, that."
   It's the minor leagues, I know. Not close to the iPhones that keep those manicured fingers twitching on the LOL circuit.  But better than a brick, which I'm told by the resident teen, is the moniker of the basic, cheap phone. Because the phone really has nothing to do with phoning anyone. It's all about the level of eye-candy appeal.
  So, I was thrilled, even with my sub-par model, to be able to say to the PTA prez, "Let me check my calendar" and then wage a strangely satisfying thumbie war with those miniscule keys.

No comments: